If you have recently set up your own business, it’s vital to get on the right road from the off and avoid any wrong turns. We’ve put together some top tips to help you do just that and ensure future success in your marketplace.
- Setting up a new business doesn’t have to cost a small fortune – BUT you do need to get the basics right. Once you feel you have a great idea, product or service, and have done the necessary market research, begin with formulating a workable business plan or strategy. It doesn’t need to be set in stone and can be easily updated as you go along.
- Develop your brand – It goes without saying you need to make your business brand stand out from the crowd. Your name, logo and URL should really say EVERYTHING about your business so think about it clearly and plan carefully.
- Sometimes more IS more – Spreading your PR and marketing activity over multiple channels will ensure your business brand and message gets out to a wider audience, which is absolutely key when starting out.
- Invest a LOT of time – Roll your sleeves up and get stuck in! No-one said it was going to be easy right? Starting your own business involves a huge investment in time and effort in the early stages, so make sure you are ready for it!
- NETWORK – Talking to like-minded people about your business can make a big difference. Keeping in touch with any new contacts you meet, is one of the best ways to really get your business ‘out there’ and off the ground. There will be some great opportunities so grab them while you can!
- Get on the worldwide web – A web presence is absolutely vital for any successful business. Websites are not just about providing information anymore. They need to be engaging, creative, user-friendly, interactive and offer multiple functionality with links to social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. Your content and structure is crucial so make sure you get it spot on from the start.
- SEO – You need to ensure your new business website is Search Engine Optmised (SEO) – if you want people to find you that is. Over 65% of searches are done via Google, so if you don’t have the correct key words, META tagging, and are unresponsive to user devices such as iPads, tablets, mobile phones – you’ve already placed yourself out of the game my friend. Using an experienced web developer to create your website will add dividends in the long run, so be smart from the start.
Thinking of setting up your website?
Holly Small Design is offering new business Start-Ups, a special offer price from £500 +VAT, with a £25 per month hosting fee, which includes website creation and design, hosting, maintenance and support.
Liked this blog? We'll keep you posted via Twitter and you can join the conversation on our Facebook Page and follow us on LinkedIn too.